In a report addressed to the Ministry of the Interior at the end of February 1939, the Prefect of Aude specified that in less than three weeks a true city had been built at BRAM, with electricity, drinking water, drain network for dirty water, highways department, postal service, hospital, mortuary, cemetery!
This camp had been built on a vast area of 12 hectares located in the MONTREAL district. It comprised 165 wooden huts and housed between 10,000 and 15,000 internees, mainly civilians and old people.
The camp at BRAM, which had begun to fall into disrepair, was temporarily closed down in October 1940.
Letter dated 19.10.1939 to a Spanish internee in the camp of GURS.
Back of the letter